CARBON MONOXIDE (CO)
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless gas associated with exhaust fumes. Your furnace and all other fuel-burning appliances must be properly installed and vented to ensure that CO does not build up in the house causing drowsiness, dizziness, headache, nausea, vomiting, loss of consciousness, seizures, coma or death.
Ontario’s safety regulator (the Technical Standards and Safety Authority or TSSA) states that homes with a fuel-burning appliance should have a CO alarm adjacent to each sleeping area. For added protection, a CO alarm should be installed on every storey of the home.
Becklumb’s tests CO levels in your home during every visit for a furnace cleaning or repair. In addition, on request, we would be happy to check the CO levels in your home during any other visit.
If your family are suffering the symptoms of CO poisoning, immediately get everyone outside to fresh air and call 911 or your local fire department.